In no particular order, here are the lessons I learned in 2016:
1. Finding yourself is the longest and hardest process you will ever have to endure, but it is sure as hell worth it.
2. First love will destroy you… no matter how beautiful it was while it lasted.
3. Your mother will always love and care for you, no matter what insane way she decides to portray it.
4. Time is no way to measure friendship.
5. Studying what you love is one of life’s greatest joys.
6. Being your own backbone is essential.
7. Making your own money from a part time job is only worth it if you spoil yourself every now and then.
8. The right guy, not the first guy.
9. Family is decided by love, not by blood.
10. If you break down every now and then, don’t be so hard on yourself – you’ve been strong too many other nights.
11. Death has no age.
12. You can be almost anything you want… if you choose to believe it.
13. If you give something up for God, trust He’ll give you better.
14. Confidence is trusting God created you beautifully and your mother raised you right, and therefore just simply being yourself.
15. If you forget your 5 prayers a day, you’ll soon forget God.
16. Mistakes are the things you will regret yesterday and the lessons you learn today.
17. If you have a talent, any talent, embrace it and flaunt it.
18. Don’t ever forget where you come from.
19. If your mom keeps finding out everything you try keeping from her, just know that your dad is doing some pretty good co-parenting from up in the heavens.
20. If you live far away from loved ones, don’t try to force life to shorten the distance. Just make sure you come back when you can and make the most of your time together.
21. No matter how cruel life gets, don’t ever learn how to play the game. If you do, then you’ve already lost, because you lose the one thing people try so hard to find – undeniable kind heart and soul.
22. There will always be one person who will be your world. The day they pass, your soul will die with them, you will simply be a shell of a woman. Let that person know who they are before it is too late.
23. Always be there for your friends – no matter what.
24. Take as many photos and videos as you can, no matter how “basic” you will look at the time. You will live off those memories for life.
25. You will lose people. You will realise that you don’t mean the same to select people as they do to you. When this happens, please realise that the number of people you lose compare nothing to the amount of people you’ve been blessed with.
26. A stranger can quickly become an irreplaceable safe place in your life – if they have the right potential.
27. Some things are a type of a “once in a lifetime” special that they will always be worth all the hardship, time and effort – no matter how complicated things get.
28. Stick with your heart – it may not lead with logic, but it knows what will bring you happiness, and life is too short, to be anything but happy.
29. Supporting and building up others is a form of supporting and building up yourself.
30. Always stay true to yourself and learn to love yourself, the way you do others.
MY 2017 NY RESOLUTION:
The only limit I will accept, is the limit of my potential. I will not allow any other factor to limit me from achieving my dreams and aspirations.